Events scheduled for June, July, August, and September are subject to change or cancellation due to COVID-19 related issues. Please check our emails, Event Registration page, or Facebook page for updates.
The Nature Foundation at Wintergreen invites you to the new …
For Love of the Land Virtual Celebration
Friday, June 5th at 6pm
(Formerly known as For Love of the Land Auction & Dinner)
Under normal circumstances, this event raises $15,000 annually to help support The Nature Foundation’s education outreach, ecosystems monitoring, research and more. The current COVID pandemic with business and school shutdowns has disrupted all of our lives, our economy and student learning. The Foundation has drastically altered its operations; programs have been canceled or postponed, Trillium House is closed, and staff is working remotely. As you reflect how best to help our greater community cope, we hope you will consider using a portion of your available resources to invest in a virtual event that allows you to remain in the safety of your own home; yet ensures the funding of a program that nurtures our common “Love of the Land.” Your donation is critical to continuing our environmental education.
For each $100 ticket purchased you have the opportunity to WIN one of ten prizes offered from the following twelve. There is minimal overhead for this event compared to our usual format at Bold Rock Cidery so more than 95% of dollars raised will be used for programming.
How It Works
- Purchase as many $100 tickets as you wish, online or by mail, for which you may take a charitable deduction.
- Each ticket will go into a drawing on June 5 at 6 pm in a live online Zoom broadcast with our popular auctioneer Steve Kohrherr and his Vanna White sidekick, Liz Fravel, both ensconced safely in their own homes.
- First of the ten tickets drawn gets to choose the first prize. (That means you need to be reachable at that moment by phone to make the choice.) Second ticket drawn gets to make the second choice and so on.
- If we cannot reach you by phone, after quick three calls, your name drops to the bottom of the ten drawn. Should we reach you before the end of the program you will still have a choice from the remaining prizes. We will continue to draw until a total of ten prizes are awarded.
- Don’t care about the prizes? You can opt out of the drawing, but we would still appreciate your donation that can make a critical difference in our environmental education outreach.
- One prize per household – please – to share the bounty.
For more information call Liz at 434-325-7451 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Values are approximations based on information provided by the person or group donating the items.
From the Director: Update 6/1/20
We hope all of you and your families are well in this time of extended social distancing. The Nature Foundation staff and I continue to work isolated and are carefully watching CDC guidelines and moving toward, what we consider, safe gatherings for our members and guests.
Though science tells us we are not out of the woods yet, we are moving toward a phase 2 opening in mid-June. While we are watching numbers and listening to reports, we hope to continue what we are currently doing and start some outdoor activities at that time. These include the following:
- By mid-June we plan to offer some interpretive hikes that will be limited to 10, meeting outdoors at Trillium House, driving separate vehicles to a starting point, and walking together while maintaining appropriate social distance.
- Our greenhouse continues to operate on Thursdays and Fridays with members calling in and ordering from our list on the website and letting us know when on Thursday and Friday they can pick up.
- We continue to do virtual programming on our Facebook and Instagram pages. Many home schoolers have been using this material for teaching, and we continue to plan for more for teachers for the fall school openings.
- Our building will remain closed to allow us to finish much needed repairs and to prevent daily sanitization which would likely be currently needed for opening.
- We will continue to temporarily make our trail map available for free online on our website.
Lastly, thank all of you for your faithful support of us in this difficult time. We are here for you.
The Nature Foundation at Wintergreen
THE NATURE FOUNDATION AT WINTERGREEN ENCOURAGES AND ENHANCES UNDERSTANDING, APPRECIATION, AND CONSERVATION OF THE NATURAL AND CULTURAL RESOURCES OF THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS OF VIRGINIA.
The Nature Foundation at Wintergreen is an independently managed and financed 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that cooperates with property owners, businesses, and the Wintergreen Resort. Our programs are open to anyone who wishes to take part and enjoy nature!
Support The Nature Foundation Today & experience members benefits
Become A Member
Go outside & play
Our trail system covers an assortment of terrain throughout its 35 miles. There are both rugged, steep slopes as well as beautiful, short strolls most anyone can enjoy.
Grow native plants
Preserving while enhancing the natural beauty of the land is a goal of those who garden using native plants. The Nature Foundation is a leader in making it easier and fun.
Check out our latest bi-annual newsletter for more information on the work we do at Wintergreen, tips for protecting and caring for the wildlife on your property, updates on our membership, activities for children, and much more!