The Nature Foundation at Wintergreen invites you to the new …
For Love of the Land Virtual Celebration
Friday, June 5th at 6pm
(Formerly known as For Love of the Land Auction & Dinner)
Under normal circumstances, this event raises $15,000 annually to help support The Nature Foundation’s education outreach, ecosystems monitoring, research and more. The current COVID pandemic with business and school shutdowns has disrupted all of our lives, our economy and student learning. The Foundation has drastically altered its operations; programs have been canceled or postponed, Trillium House is closed, and staff is working remotely. As you reflect how best to help our greater community cope, we hope you will consider using a portion of your available resources to invest in a virtual event that allows you to remain in the safety of your own home; yet ensures the funding of a program that nurtures our common “Love of the Land.” Your donation is critical to continuing our environmental education.
For each $100 ticket purchased you have the opportunity to WIN one of ten prizes offered from the following twelve. There is minimal overhead for this event compared to our usual format at Bold Rock Cidery so more than 95% of dollars raised will be used for programming.
How It Works
- Purchase as many $100 tickets as you wish, online or by mail, for which you may take a charitable deduction.
- Each ticket will go into a drawing on June 5 at 6 pm in a live online Zoom broadcast with our popular auctioneer Steve Kohrherr and his Vanna White sidekick, Liz Fravel, both ensconced safely in their own homes.
- First of the ten tickets drawn gets to choose the first prize. (That means you need to be reachable at that moment by phone to make the choice.) Second ticket drawn gets to make the second choice and so on.
- If we cannot reach you by phone, after quick three calls, your name drops to the bottom of the ten drawn. Should we reach you before the end of the program you will still have a choice from the remaining prizes. We will continue to draw until a total of ten prizes are awarded.
- Don’t care about the prizes? You can opt out of the drawing, but we would still appreciate your donation that can make a critical difference in our environmental education outreach.
- One prize per household – please – to share the bounty.
For more information call Liz at 434-325-7451 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Values are approximations based on information provided by the person or group donating the items.
From the Director: Update 4/14/20
In accordance with the governor’s mandate and to ensure the health of our members and guests in regard to the recent spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are continuing our closure to the public until June 10. We will re-assess our public interactions weekly and watch for Virginia updates.
While there is no evidence of staff, our members, or to our current knowledge, the general public in our immediate area testing positive for COVID-19, we feel we may be putting our members, guests, and their families at risk in a public area that may become difficult to monitor and sterilize.
- All staff continue to work remotely and our members can reach each of us by email.
- We are also continuing our programs online. Take a virtual field trip, or find children activities with us by going to the Peace Out(side) tab on our main page or visit our Facebook and Instagram pages. Invite the kids to come along!
- Trail maps can be purchased at the Front Desk of the Mountain Inn.
- We will continue to temporarily make our trail map available for free online on our website.
- NEW! April 11 Plant Sale was a great success thanks to those who ordered ahead of time. We had orders ready and had walk-in (outside) customers picking up plants. We will continue taking orders via email to Doug Coleman at email@example.com or by calling 434-325-7452. We will set your plants aside at the Greenhouse for pick up after hours. Note: Native Plant List (click here for list).
- It’s a great time to be outdoors hiking on our 30 mile hiking trail system, but be prepared to step aside and maintain social distance when others are encountered.
Thank you for helping by being responsible.
The Nature Foundation at Wintergreen
THE NATURE FOUNDATION AT WINTERGREEN ENCOURAGES AND ENHANCES UNDERSTANDING, APPRECIATION, AND CONSERVATION OF THE NATURAL AND CULTURAL RESOURCES OF THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS OF VIRGINIA.
The Nature Foundation at Wintergreen is an independently managed and financed 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that cooperates with property owners, businesses, and the Wintergreen Resort. Our programs are open to anyone who wishes to take part and enjoy nature!
Support The Nature Foundation Today & experience members benefits
Become A Member
Go outside & play
Our trail system covers an assortment of terrain throughout its 35 miles. There are both rugged, steep slopes as well as beautiful, short strolls most anyone can enjoy.
Grow native plants
Preserving while enhancing the natural beauty of the land is a goal of those who garden using native plants. The Nature Foundation is a leader in making it easier and fun.
Check out our latest bi-annual newsletter for more information on the work we do at Wintergreen, tips for protecting and caring for the wildlife on your property, updates on our membership, activities for children, and much more!